Subject: [Leica] Re: Film/digital wars
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun May 1 20:23:54 2005

> Welll... like Nathan, I  have thousands of film shots on SonC.com.
> Snagging
> shots like this  one at 1600 ISO convinced me that digital is  ready.
>
> http://www.sonc.com/peeking.htm

Stupendous shot which is saying a lot from a guy not too fond of flower
shots.
Any luck in the inkjet department from such a shot?
Which to me is crying out to by 13x19d on Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper of
which I am recently enamored. Both  the size and the paper itself.

My ASA 1600 setting which I get from my old D100 gives me great "grain" at
such magnifications.
Yet with no third party anti grain additives.
Which I was doing today of my dog with his new very large bone. 13.5 inches
long He'd not had one like this for awhile and he's walking around the house
with it putting it different places to see how it looks.
I gotta say it looks pretty good next to my Blue Balcar A1200 power pack.

He's got a big doggy smile on his face.

Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper is 3 bucks a sheet and I'm used to paying this
anyway for Ilford Multigrade IV FB Fiber Based VC Variable Contrast darkroom
paper in 16x20.
Which sounds like a rip-off as the inkjet paper does not have silver salts
or silver anything in them (peppers?).

But having some background in print making in general I know that water
color papers have always cost more than darkroom papers.
So there!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon