Subject: [Leica] digital transformation
From: puff11 at comcast.net (Norm Aubin)
Date: Thu Apr 28 20:33:10 2005

Greetings all,

As a lurker who mostly just learns from reading what goes by in the digests,
I thought I'd chime in with my comments.

I shoot fine art landscape work and architectural work, for S&G's mainly,
although once I retire from my day job I might just choose to start a new
career and see where it takes me.

I shoot 4x5 for all my B&W (and some chrome) fine art work, since I'm one of
those Ansel Adams disciples, but the Leica M series has been, for me, a god
send.  It's proven to be a small portable camera that takes damn good
pictures suitable for enlarging up to 11x14 or so in the wet darkroom.
With the advent of scanning and digital printing it has proven to be even
better for the spontaneous and walk about type of photography I also enjoy
doing when traveling.

Using Photoshop and digital fractals, I think one can almost make a case for
using 35mm for anything up to about 20x24 while retaining very, very high
quality.

After taking a few Photoshop and digital fine art printing classes, I am
also convinced that I never want to stick my hands in fixer again, or stand
on a concrete darkroom floor again either.  My local lab will do custom film
developing to my specifications, including zone system tuning, and Epson
printing is the only way to go, for 4x5 or Leica negatives!

I love using film, and Fuji, Ilford, Kodak and others all produce wonderful
films, even if not as varied and as many as before.  If Leica comes out with
an M based digital that can match or exceed the look and quality of scanned
film, then I might just try it, but since my 35mm can't yet replace my 4x5
anyway, it's still only for fun and convenience.

I'm a pleasure shooter, my living doesn't get affected by timeliness or even
completion of an assignment.  I sympathize with the pro's who have to fish
or cut bait.

Best of light,
Norm