Subject: [Leica] Motion picture cameras hot?
From: jon.stanton at comcast.net (jon.stanton@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Apr 26 14:30:15 2005

Somebody asked the question the other day...here is the response from a
Panavision Sr. VP.

........ As far as film movie cameras I am not sure what your friend is
talking about. They don't run hot. A 1000 foot load runs for about 10
minutes and many film makers put the camera on a steady cam rig and let the
film run. Sit-Coms shot on film have special design 2000 foot mags and never
have heating problems. When we shoot in very cold winter conditions we have
special heaters built into the cameras and mags to keep them warm. Our new
digital 24p camera is another matter. Current models of 24p HD cameras tend
to run hot so there are a series of fans that go on when the camera is on
standby and go off when the tape is rolling because the sound of the fans
would record if they stayed on. Tell him you got this from the Sr. VP of
marketing for Panavision. .......