Subject: [Leica] Leica Article in LA Times
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Tue Apr 26 01:19:05 2005

At 0:34 PM -0400 05.4.25, Jim Shulman wrote:
>The obvious question (or at least obvious to me): why doesn't Cosima
>purchase Leica?  Mr. K obviously has an incredible flair for classic RF
>cameras and accessories--if any manufacturer understands the mindset of
>making this type of equipment, it's Cosima.

The question is why spend that much money on a business that is
losing money? The only way he could make money would be to buy the
name, trash the M and R series, and relabel Bessas as Leicas. I doubt
that is what he would like to remembered for.

Mr. Kobayashi is a brilliant engineer and company executive. He isn't
going to spend money on any project that risks losing money.  That's
one of the reasons he tied with Epson with the R-D1, which has yet to
break even for Epson, but profitable for OEM Cosina.

Good money is on him strengthening the ties with Zeiss. My rumor mill
here says Zeiss are  close to getting the Contax name back from
Kyocera and giving it to Cosina.

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura