Subject: [Leica] Leica Article in LA Times
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Apr 25 21:53:51 2005

I disagree, Stephen. Family control would have been no panacea. It is
easy to rail against "bean-counters" but the reality is that a company
has to make profits or it will be forced to close. It is not the job of
the board to determine which products are brought out--that is the job
of management. Leica's problem is arrogance at the top which led them to
believe that people will keep buying stuff just because it has a red
dot. In the film world, they did nothing to respond to the threat of the
Cosina/Voigtlander cameras, which you of all people are familiar with,
probably thinking that no serious photographer would consider a $400
Bessa camera an alternative to a real Leica. Well, plenty of serious
photographers did. On digital, they obviously missed the boat
completely. I read the Spiegel article Feli posted yesterday, and Cohn's
arrogance is simply breathtaking--as late as September 2004 he was still
dismissing digital as a threat to his company.

Putting Leica photographers in charge will solve absolutely nothing.
Putting competent managers in charge, regardless of which industry they
come from, will (look at what Lou Gerstner did at IBM). They have to be
willing to make tought decisions and slaughter sacred cows if needed.
Worshipping at the altar of Barnack will not pay the employees' salaries.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands