Subject: [Leica] Re: Let's Just Say That Leica Survives and....
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Apr 23 19:00:16 2005

On 4/23/05 6:18 PM, "Michael J Herring" <creativevisions@verizon.net> typed:

> You are absolutely right. I frequently do this with my 4x5 negatives and
> my
> 120 film based prints. For some reason the prints seem much more dramatic.
> Perhaps you hit the nail on the head..............you are drawn into the
> image.

First time I ever made an 11x14 from a 4x5 negative I thought I has having
some kind of brain aneurism. It was kind of flickering and pulsating in the
tray like a florescent bulb with a semi burnt out transformer.
My timer caught in fire once there was this glow in the room and I had to
look up and find out from where. Kind of like that.
This was in the red safelight.
When the white lights came on I forgot what happened, but I'm sure I was
impressed.
Kind of 3D really; when wet.

You can't beat an neg that's only been stretched twice but is 11x14 inchs.
(with a little bigger than one inch borders, which is normal)
Compared against a neg which has been stretched 8 or 9 times at the same
Size.
the word "stretched" applies to the latter but not at all to the former.
"adjusted" might be what you'd call a 2x magnification.
There is not "thinning" at all. Which is good.

I guess I've learned to live with a little "thinning".
A lot of thinning as well.
Some can't.
Let them shoot sheet film.
Let them eat Pyro.
Just give me a good black and a tight grain pattern and I'm good to go.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/