Subject: [Leica] Re: [CVUG] Death of film impact on classic camera sales
From: mak at teleport.com (mak@teleport.com)
Date: Wed Apr 20 10:20:21 2005

I noticed Japanese collectors searching for the Sony TPSL2, the first
Walkman, among other things of late...cameras are not the priority they once
were...

We all know that ebay leveled prices around the world a few years ago for
most collectible cameras...

Obviously there will always be a place in people's hearts for fine
mechanical items like Leica nad Nikon RFs but what will happen to the tens
of millions of run of the mill classics?

Are Canon FTbs Minolta SRTs and Pentax Spotmatics destined to be thrift
store fodder in bins and totes next to 8mm cameras, Kodak folders and Argus
C3 Bricks?

Has the flow of cameras back to Japan slowed as older collectors retire?

I realize there are vast numbers of Barnack Camera toting 25-55 year olds
but even here I have heard that digital has made inroads as well...