Subject: [Leica] Photojournalists and permission
From: rbrowne1 at mindspring.com (Robert Browne)
Date: Tue Apr 19 21:54:59 2005

Speaking of James Nachtwey, I recently viewed the DVD of Christian
Frei's documentary on Nachtwey called War Photographer. To my
recollection it never shows Nachtwey actually asking permission to
shoot anyone but you are left with the impression that his presence and
intent is accepted by his subjects with a good measure of trust. Highly
recommended viewing.

Robert Browne

Karen Nakamura wrote:

Steve -

So your wonderful OR photos or Tinas photos are all what?

   Eugene Smith?  James Nachtewey? They all work with the consent of
the photographed.

   You can do documentary photography with the consent and permission
of the photographed without only having to do posed portraiture. Is
that such a hard concept to comprehend?

Replies: Reply from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] Photojournalists and permission)