Subject: [Leica] Photojournalists and permission
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Tue Apr 19 16:58:22 2005

Karen Nakamura wrote:

>> call it posing or call it being aware that a photo is going to be
>> taken.... boils down to the same thing...
>>
>> do you want to take photos of the way people are, or the way they want
>> to appear...  ?
>

> Steve -
>
> So your wonderful OR photos or Tinas photos are all what?
>  Eugene Smith?  James Nachtewey? They all work with the consent of the
> photographed.

Steve Barbour.  Tina Manley.   They work
to the best that we are able...with
consent. And remember  ...it's not one
shot and off into the night...
when I shot in the OR, I spent two full
days, about 11-12 hours in the OR,
watching, shooting...

>  You can do documentary photography with the consent and permission of
> the photographed without only having to do posed portraiture.

shooting with consent means the subject
gives you what he wants to give you, and
what he wants to be seen...

Is that
> such a hard concept to comprehend?

lets try to keep this on a high plain,