Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on the new Zeiss lenses
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Apr 15 15:32:33 2005

At 5:12 PM -0400 4/15/05, Marc James Small wrote:

>There are a lot of reasons why Japanese-made quality lenses cost less than
>German- or US-made quality lenses.  Perhaps the prime factor is that the
>Japanese industrial establishment is really cut to the bone and works more
>closely to the timeline.  And, of course, there is no beer in Japanese
>lunchrooms.
>
>Marc

I worked for a while in Munich in the 60's, and have been back at
various times.

It's interesting to know that your recent BMW has been built by
ethnic Turks who've embraced the Bavarian concept of having a beer
going at all times. Audi's too for that matter.

When I worked in the Siemens labs the first thing that happened in
the morning was that the most junior person was sent to organize to
get everyone who wanted it a beer. That was to prepare everyone for
the afternoon, when we regularly had a party. With 60 employees in
the lab, and a party everytime someone came, someone left, had a
birthday, got a promotion or whatever, that meant a lot of parties.
Large mixing vats from the chemistry lab were used to mix up some
punch for those who were tired of beer, another vat was used to cook
sausages, and some cakes and other snacks and extra beer were sent
for.

Morale was good. Strangely enough, productivity wasn't that bad either.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao) ([Leica] Thoughts on the new Zeiss lenses)