Subject: [Leica] Leica digital back; now marketing will save Leica?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Apr 12 19:45:05 2005

On 4/11/05 6:20 AM, "Peter Dzwig" <pdzwig@summaventures.com> typed:

> B. D. Colen wrote:
>
>   But if a digital M costing $4K was built like an M
>> and produced images on a par with a Canon EOS1dMKII - particularly in
>> terms of noise level at 800-1600-and 3200 iso - there are probably large
>> numbers of formerly Leica-using pros who's spring for it, to say nothing
>> of dedicated Leica-loving hobbyists....But they really have to do it,
>> and do it damn soon, before Zeiss comes out with a digital M mount body.
> BD
>
> I disagree. The cost to us has got to be a **lot** lower than that.
> Remember
> that the parts are largely mass produced in the rest of the market, so to
> compete in, say, a year to two years from from now [here i don't mean
> simply
> when it is delivered, but when it starts to move out in anything like
> volume],
> it has to be  probably around $1.5 to $2.5 k **and** I suspect that it will
> have
> to be very special for that. By that I mean that it will have to do more
> than
> sell to the LUG, it will also have to attract new market share to it.
>
> But what I haven't seen discussed here is how Leica will attract market
> share
> and maintain brand loyalty. Cannon et al will already have the next product
> all
> but built when they make a release; do Leica have the wherewithal to
> deliver a
> product in 18-20 months...
>
> Which points up another issue. Since I do believe both sets of figures -
> namely
> that Leica will take up to two years to getthe DM to the market in serious
> volume, and that its competition is capable of delivering a new product in
> less
> than two years, Leica will alwayus be playing catchup.
>
> So they have a fundamental problem, which can be solved by not competing
> in a
> market in which it can't deliver and concentrate on its established niche.
>
> Peter Dzwig

That Niche consists of people who have a Leica SLR system who want to shoot
digital with it. Its that simple. It ain't Existentialism.
It's not:
"should I buy a bunch of Minolta or Canon stuff or sound I buy a bunch of
Leica stuff?" "And what are the digital options in that system"
Seldom are you starting from scratch.

If there is a viable way to put your possibly substantial Leica R glass to
work digitally your going to go there.

If you were already shooting with Minolta you'd very probably not bother
reading the reviews of the Leica back in the paper or on the internet.
That's just not that the system you're shooting with.
You're not looking for an excuse to trade in the entire system you are used
to shooting with.
Is it going to be some spectacular thing that's going to make you trade in
all your Minoltas for a Leica SLR system?
Probably not if your not already so inclined.

Its not going to be the actions of someone who is not going to get into
Leica SLR for ANY reason not mater what if hell freezes over.

Actually plenty of people on the lists are looking for any excuse to trade
their entire system in for another entire camera system. It's what they are
doing in lieu of shooting pictures. EBay.
For them trading is shooting.
"Photography" is buying and selling.

Mark Rabiner
Photography