Subject: [Leica] Olympus E1 - sorta OT
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Mon Apr 11 09:01:12 2005

On Apr 11, 2005, at 5:18 AM, Peter Dzwig wrote:

> Will,
>
> it's not size that matters...it's the chip design. It is quite
> possible to have two same size (pixel count)chips producing different
> quality images. Is the chip in the 10D and 20D the same?

Peter,

I don't have time to look up exact references at the moment, but as far
as I know the CMOS chips are different in the two, with the same
overall dimensions (APS) and therefore smaller individual receptors in
the 20D. I believe that the chips on the original Digital Rebel and the
10D were the same chip. Not sure about the 20D and the new Rebel, both
of which are around 8MP.

In other words, I would agree that it is the chip design, but also the
processing software, manufacturer tolerances, receptor design and size,
and probably a dozen other factors that I'm not aware of. For example -
and Brian may know this - I believe that CMOS chips use about 1/30th
the current than CCDs, therefore generating much less static
electricity, therefore attracting less surface dust.

Interesting times.

Will von Dauster

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Olympus E-1 vs. Digilux II)
Reply from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] Olympus E1 - sorta OT)