Subject: [Leica] Four views from Hong Kong, after 30 years...
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Sun Apr 10 19:57:58 2005

"Welcome to Hong Kong," a simple sign, yet it means so much. The sign on
the picture is fuzzy, perhaps fitting as my memory of Hong Kong is very
also fuzzy. The Morning Post (a HK newspaper) had an article about they
opened the first MacDonald in 1975, making it sounds like a long time ago.
I guess it has been a long time ago. I left HK on May 12, 1975 and had
never been back.
http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/LJPics/HongKong/crop0013.jpg

We were on our way to India. There were a 2-3 hours layover on each
direction. On the way there, our brains were groggy, it was early in the
morning (~7AM) and we didn't even know whether we need Visa or not so we
stayed inside the airport. The HK Airport was newly built, just finished in
mid-90s. It is situated in the Lautau island, the same island where my
maternal grandparents used to live. When I was young, it was so far away.
We had to take buses to the Kowloon Harbor, then the Star Ferry across the
bay to the Hong Kong Island, then finally a ferry to Lautau itself. The
whole trip took half a day, almost as long as flying from San Francisco to
HK :-) This is my first view of the actual land of Hong Kong. My
grandfather used to harvest pineapples in hills just like these:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/LJPics/HongKong/crop0016.jpg

On the way back from India, we were going to make a break for it :-) We
rushed through Custom, walked outside and found that unfortunately, we
couldn't really walk around on the streets! The airport is surrounded by
roads and stuff and pedestrians are confined. Oh well, I used to ride on
those double decker buses a lot:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/LJPics/HongKong/EPSN0490.jpg

A slight disappointment for sure, but all is not lost when we found a small
noodle joint on the south side of the terminal. A quick rush back into the
airport to exchange for some money and viola, cheap noodles to die for:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/LJPics/HongKong/EPSN0494.jpg

B&Ws: M7, lens and exposure unknown, probably the 35/1.4ASPH
Colors: R-D1, probably the Ultron 28.

use richard at imagecraft.com)