Subject: [Leica] Computer apple G5 imac
From: ccstirkjr at yahoo.com (Charles C. Stirk Jr)
Date: Sun Apr 10 15:03:17 2005

Roger I have been very happy with my G4 1.2  ibook with
only 768 meg of ram nothing slows it down much .

 Did some work on a imac G5 things were bit snappier speed
wise,   calibration of the screen is the only area  area
that might give pause but I have similar screen on my ibook
& have been able to use with out issue .

Might suggest the 20" iMac

I would  be making a very similar  purchase as you are if I
were not on the road  as much & could use a desk top  for
post production .

I have found the stability & work flow to be good with osX
, & many things are just a bit easer then in the wintell
world saves me loads of time  ... & there is theAirport ,
imusic & Airport Extreme remote speaker coolness stuff .

You might all ready know that on the apple store site there
is a sale & " Apple Certified Reconditioned Products" , the
very imac you mention is  discounted U$S200 .

Feel free to reach out with any questions been an Apple
user for years ..

Chuck

C. C. Sirk Jr.  Photography & Imaging
Charles C. Stirk Jr.
201 North Woodward Ave
Wilmington , Delaware
19805-1147
mobile 302.463.2239
tel 302.999.7733
ccstirkjr@yahoo.com
Aolim id ccstirk
Yahoo id ccstirkjr

I'm going to have to purchase a new computer. I have
no experience using an Apple computer, but since my
photography hobby is demanding hours of scanning,
editing and more dedicated computer support I'm
thinking that this is the time to make the move to
Apple.

I've been looking at the Apple iMAC G5 1.8 17" monitor
and 1GB RAM. I've been a Paint Shop Pro user for years
after prior experience with Photoshop, but suppose now
I would have to move back to Photoshop Elements 3.0.
I'm also supporting a Nikon CoolScan 4000 for my Leica
work and some direct digital capture.

I would be moving from a 1MHz Dell P4 that has never
benchmarked very well.

I not sure that moving to a Power Mac G5 is the right
move for the first step.

What is the experience of this group using the Apple
G5 computers with similar digital capture/acquire
hardware? Do you see significant work flow
improvement over Pentiums? Do you realize a work flow
improvement beyond that of just the processor speed in
the case cited above? What is required for other media
support, drives, optical output devices, etc.

I feel like I'm on shaky ground with this decision,
your input would really help. Having to do this now
puts off my purchase of a 28mm Summicron, so I want to
do it right :-).

Thanks
Roger