Subject: [Leica] Alkaline vs Silver 625 replacement batteries
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed Apr 6 21:27:02 2005

on 4/6/05 7:02 PM, John O. Newell at john.o.newell@comcast.net wrote:

> This is probably a dumb question; in fact, I hope it is, but I'm cautious
> about making assumptions.  I'm wondering whether anyone has had, or can
> think
> of, any issues in using a silver 625 cell in a camera that originally used
> mercury 625 cell but has been recalibrated for an alkaline 625  cell.  This
> would be a change from 1.5v nominal to 1.55v nominal, which seems like it
> would be a difference so small that it would be easily lost in the noise
> (examples: didn't precisely center needle; didn't pick precisely correct
> area
> to meter) or at least would be well within the latitude of even color
> reversal
> film.  Yes/no/maybe?

The mercury battery is 1.35 volts.  The difference is noticable, and the
alkaline battery's voltage changes as it ages.

> Also, I'm assuming...but interested in confirmation...that there are no
> physical differences between the alkaline and silver oxide dimensions?

None that I can see.  I've used several types of batteries and have settled
on the 625s (silver-oxide) to replace mercury batteries in my cameras.

> I have read of users with problems using the CRIS adapters.

It's a bit thicker than any of the 625 batteries, and it won't fin the
battery chambers of some SL bodies 'cuz the battery cap is out too far to
catch any of the threads.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com