Subject: [Leica] Re: [CVUG] Zeiss Biogon T 35mm F2
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Apr 5 15:05:09 2005

On 4/5/05 12:54 AM, "MIKIRO" <miki@arbos.net> typed:

> Hi, Mark.
> I for one will opt for "semi" retrofocus short lenses, e.g., Elmarit
> 21mm and 24mm ASPH. The more symmetrical lenses are the more light
> fall-off, which is (at least for the moment) more remarkable and less
> pleasing on digital sensors than on film.
>
> You may want to compare closely the test images given at the site.
> Indeed, the Biogon do not differ visibly from Summicron ASPH. I have no
> idea to what extent the new Biogon is less retrofocus than Summicron
> ASPH, though.
>
> That said, I expect MUCH from the coming Biogons.
>
> Cheers,
>
> MIKIRO

I guess we can just use the same lens on our enlarger to print the pictures
and have the fall off nullified.
Me I love fall off.
Instead of a center filter I'd buy an edge filter.
When I open a Raw file I have loads of fun dialing in plenty of fall off as
part of the "lens" settings. So I make all my DSLR lenses have lots of post
built in fall off.
It's built into the lens.
Only its in software.
We're all starting to get used to that now. Many of us.
Saves me the time of burning in the edges.
Which is no small trick with digital.
Making gradated masks.

I'm looking forward to some day doing some work with a true wide angle lens.
Never quite got a Hasselblad superwide with it's 38mm Biogon.
Nor a wide for my view camera. Which would certainly not be a retrofocal
device.
Not sure if they even MAKE a retrofocal wide for a view camera.
Why would they? Because people are used to that look?

I'm disappointed with the 15 Distagon.
I'd like to DIS this Distagon!!!!
Is should not be a Distagon and be the ridiculous monster that it is.
It should be a Hologon. Or Biogon maybe. And be one tenth the weight and
size.
And protrude RIGHT back to the film. Almost.
Not sticking out much from the camera.
THIS!!!!
    Is what I expect to be happening in Germany from Zeiss.

Have it be a complete camera like the Hassy superwide or Contarex Hologon
Ultrawide.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon