Subject: [Leica] Re:The cat came back...
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sat Sep 25 19:25:34 2004

> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004
> From: "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net>
> Subject: [Leica] The cat came  back...

> So I'm back. And to put my money where my keyboarding is, I've posted a
> PAW:

> http://members.rogers.com/jmcdesigns/jamesstreet/2004-33.htm

> Slam away, lambaste me for using my nieces and daughter as convenient
> subjects, but please, let me know you took the time to view my work, and by
> all means let know what I can do to improve. No photographer should work in
> vacuum...except to remove the dust from the negatives!

> ciao...

> Jim

What a nice, fun picture.

I like the pretty much composition as it is, with breathing room outside
the elbows. Normally, I would go for tighter framing, but here there is
something that intriques my eye with the repeated shapes thoughout, and
those two pointy light areas on the right make the image more quirky than
just a snapshot for me. I would like a bit less on top and to be able to
see the front edge of the bowl instead; and although the electrical socket
and that other thing on the wall are distracting, they don't spoil my
enjoyment of the photo.

For situations like this, I use a cheap (manual) Morris flash that has a
weaker capacitor installed (I think a 16 mf) to only put out enough light
to give f/2.8 at 5 feet with 400 ISO film.  It just fills in the shadows
slightly, and puts a nice catchlight in the eyes.

Keep shooting to please yourself and keep posting.

Alan

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer
Visual Imaging