Subject: [Leica] beater cameras
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Sep 25 19:25:32 2004

Walker started this with his comments about having a camera in his car.
In the seventies and eighties, the beater would have been an old M2 or
M3 for the pro's and many others.  After the sixties, rangefinders were
so pass? that you did not want to admit that you really used one.  But
you knew that the old Leica would patiently bounce under the seat until
you needed it for that image that popped up in front of you.

As to personal journey for a beater camera, I have run the gamut: Pentax
Spotmatic, old F, Exacta Varex, Retina II, Canonet, beat into the dirt
F1.  Now I simply carry an M with me virtually everywhere I go.  The
major exception would be when I take one of the older cameras out of the
closet to keep up familiarity with them.

That last statement is kinda funny as my M3 is from 1961 and my M6 is
one of the early Wetzler versions.  With a twenty and forty year old
camera as my mainstay user, on not too many lists could I say use one of
my older cameras and not refer to something made in 1994.  :)

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] beater cameras)