Subject: [Leica] Photographic Destiny
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 21 19:55:09 2005

> For
> every superstar photographer, there are a bazillion who are just
> struggling to keep working. "Pro" is not a value judgement, simply a
> job description. There are a lot of pros who remain pros because they
> are willing to work cheap.
>
> larry! [Larry Bolch is a professional photographer who participates in one
> the many Nikon lists]

Same is true in every profession. But I don't think 'prophessional' in
photography is merely a job description. It's the demand/supply rubric.
Here's why:
The peculiar and particularl talents of actor Carroll O'Connor, overlooked
for
many?years playing small roles,?became critical at a certain moment in time
because only his personality and appearance matched that of Archie Bunker.
I'm
sure there are many competent photographers whose specialty is ignored
because
it isn't called for in the market yet.

I don't think Adams would be known if he had stayed in?ad photography, good
as he was technically and even esthetically. Adams created his own market,
as
most artists who are successful do.
Is that self-promotion? Yes, and we all gained thereby. Adams had something
to say about commonality among natural land forms and music and photographic
printing. Was he a purist? Yes and No. Yes, in the sense that he stayed
within
traditional darkroom methodology. No, in that he radically changed tones and
shades in the exposure and printing process. But that is obvious in his work
and
he didn't need to declare it. I've seen dark skies in the afternoon, but
never a black one. Yes, I own a dark red filter for my Elmars and Nikkors,
but
I've never used it.

Bob?