Subject: [Leica] Iraq occupation protest - Chicago 3/19/05
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Mar 21 01:36:16 2005

On 3/20/05 11:24 PM, "jon.stanton@comcast.net" <jon.stanton@comcast.net>
typed:

> Good observation Mark!
>
> Somewhere in an FBI file is a picture  of me sharing a joint (I inhaled)
> with
> my friend Bonnie Bowling outside of Chicago's Federal Building (Dirksen?)
> protesting Judge Julius Hoffman and the Chicago 7 Trial....I know because
> shortly thereafter the FBI interviewed me!.....

I was also living in Chicago at that time, that was 1969-70. The year I
graduated from high school. And like most people I knew I was heavily
involved with the Civil Rights Movement, antiwar protests, minority
activism, feminism, and getting involved with the beginnings of the
"counterculture". People were thinking for themselves.
To me one of the best things about the 60's was that it was no longer the
50's. Which was mainly bad vibes daddy oh.
It seemed easier to spot the good guys from the bad guys in the 60's.
Hair length was a sure ruler with the guys at least.

We all had grand delusions of thick FBI files.
Our idol was Malcolm X and we had misgivings about being white.
Some of us wore fake gauze bandages on our heads to indicate we'd been
clobbered by the Chicago cops during the Chicago riots which amounted to the
Chicago cops clobbering anyone in sight, short or long hair. Climbing out of
a hippy dippy V.W. Van or stretch Limo. Anything that moved was fair game.
I watched it on TV. In the suburbs. But did go on a march or two. None of
them a peak or near death experience.
I hear Mayor Richard J Daly is still there.
He must be well over one hundred.
Must have been the green beer.

__

I was walking my dog in the paths of McLeay park (forest) a few years ago
and a very committed youngish girl came out of nowhere with a kid and was on
duty to chastise me for having my dog off the leash.
He could run into the water and dislodge some fish eggs or something like
that. She was very committed and upset. And may have been in a position to
give me a "ticket".

I told her in my day it was Nixon firebombing Cambodia was were all upset
about. Not dogs off the leash.

I'm for dog rights.
Screw the fish.

Mark Rabiner