Subject: [Leica] Hong Kong xray
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Mar 20 13:53:11 2005

Lew Schwartz offered:
Subject: RE: [Leica] Hong Kong xray

>I don't know about HK, but my experience is that the more your film looks
> like its never been opened, the less rigorous the inspection. Also, if you
> include some documentation to the effect that it'll be processed at ASA
> 1600, you may get a break on the X-ray machines.<<<<<

Hi Lew,
If you haven't travelled Heathrow in London it doesn't work. You could offer
your sister and her girl friend, three quarts of blood, two iron bars and
gold pendant and they'd just take your film put it through the
machine....... with a smile. "have a nice flight sir." :-)

And you move on.

Besides we've gone through this whole "hand baggage x-ray mission" a zillion
times and it doesn't do anything even after a half dozen times, even with
film rated and souped at 800! However, a qualifier. There are some countries
with old equipment and super mental midgets operating the gear so you may
find damage, in these cases, 3rd world countries,  I'd try for a hand check.

Hell life's much easier if you just throw it on the belt send it through and
have a nice flight. A scotch in one hand and an arm around  a pretty flight
stew. ;-) Oh sorry that was in the  "really really olden days" when flights
were very very long and you had time to get to know their names and
addresses! ;-) Through the night! ;-)

Oh yeah, the film? In zip lock bags out of canisters and put down to go
through the scanner without you opening your mouth.  Just smile and move on.
And surprise of surprises sometimes they'll ask .... "would you like that
hand checked, sir?" Then you politely say, "Why yes, thank you." And smile!

However, never at Heathrow!

ted

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Hong Kong xray)
Reply from tarek.charara at pix-that-stimulate.com (Tarek Charara) ([Leica] Hong Kong xray)