Subject: [Leica] Re: Pushing C-41 films
From: jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB)
Date: Fri Mar 18 09:58:45 2005

At 09:23 AM 3/18/2005, Peter Dzwig wrote:
>Does anyone know any reason why you should not push c-41 films? I have
>been told that it isn't a good idea/can't be done, but I can't see why not.
>
>Anyone any ideas??
>
>Thanks,
>
>Peter Dzwig

I push it all the time. One stop. You lose your shadows but the rest is
just fine. Things start to fall apart at two stops. But remember, the "ISO"
speed is the "maximum" speed that the manufacturer deems acceptable
(minimum exposure, nearly zero upward latitude.) ISO 400 film would have
been an ASA 200-320 film, which would easily go two stops over the ASA
assignment. So when pushing an ISO stop, you are truly pushing the process
beyond what is already deemed the minimum. But one stop seems to work just
fine for me.

JB