Subject: [Leica] Re: An interesting development in connection with pictures
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Fri Mar 18 08:48:54 2005

>That particular comment has led me to seriously consider only taking a
>Yashica T4 P&S the next time. But on the other hand, a Leica M, for
>security, looks like a T4. No batteries, no digital ... they don't
>consider it a sign of a journalist (and journalists can't get in the
>country). I know ... I've already had that experience with them. We'll
>see. I'm going back in May. I will definitely NOT take digital. They
>would certainly interpret a digital SLR as a sign of a working
>professional. But not an M.

The Yashica T4 is probably the best p&s camera ever built at a
reasonable price. His Tessar 3.5 of 35mm is merely astounding and
metering and focusing is faultless. Wherever or whenever you risk your
Leica equipment is truly worth using the T4 or better the last model
called T5 or T4 plus as he got a vertical finder that allowed framing
without  raising your camera at your eyes and therefore shooting
inadvertently other people. I've used it a lot although nowadays I use a
Ricoh G1 due to his incredible 28mm f2.8 that allows shooting from the
waist framing approximately and the quality of the lens is almost M
level; in fact this lens was sold separately and wasn't exactly
affordable. Other alternative very sensible is the tiny Olympus Miu
(Greek letter) with an excellent lens. I never bought "posh" cameras
like Minolta TC1, Contax T3 or Nikon 35Ti because their incontestable
quality didn't avoid their flashy look attracting inexorably thieves.

Felix

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Re: An interesting development in connection with pictures)