Subject: [Leica] Re:Gray market
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Thu Mar 17 06:29:48 2005

>Nikon U.S.A. official policy on gray market merchandise is that they
>will not touch it.  Not under warranty, not paid after warranty service.
>You can of course send it to the country it was officially imported
>into, and of course there are thousands of independent repair facilities
>that will fix for fee.

Don

This is a right manner for preventing grey imports defending his
business and forcing a own coverage as -for instance- BH does. But just
think I've got here in Spain a new Nikon D2H and I'm going to New York
for two years. There I get a camera failure under my Spanish warranty.
Have I sending back the camera to Spain for service? Absurd. My personal
opinion is that a camera rightly acquired must be serviced by brand
representative everywhere. But...and this is a great but a camera bought
in USA or Hong Kong may have a minor price of 30% or more and with the
WEB it's truly easy buying outside. Really transport fees and import
taxes are leveling this but nevertheless there are true bargains. Some
years ago I was wandering buying  at New York a big tele like a 400mm
2,8. The difference in price covered the plane ticket and three days at
Waldorf Astoria -in special weekends offers that is when I use to stay
in this  old and nice hotel-. I think that right now there are not such
a big difference. Otherwise in the last fifty years I have only one time
lens problem -and I use a lot of lenses- when a 15mm 2.8 Canon fish eye
-a truly nice lens- had the diaphragm blades stuck. No problem with
Canon however the lens was not bought in Spain. This is the right policy
IMHO.

Regards

Felix

Replies: Reply from woc2 at earthlink.net (Bill O'Connell) ([Leica] Re:Gray market)