Subject: [Leica] R lenses and variable apertures
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed Mar 16 08:45:27 2005

on 3/15/05 11:59 PM, Daniel Ridings at daniel.ridings@edd.uio.no wrote:

> Doug Herr wrote:
>> and
>> unlike many of the competitors' zoom lenses the Leica zooms are fully
>> usable
>> at maximum aperture.
>
> That was a silly remark, Doug. I guess Canon's lenses are unusuable at
> maximum aperture, since I know that Nikkors are. Are there any other
> competitors.

Daniel,

Many comparison tests have shown that C and N zooms, for example 80-200
f/2.8 types, have significantly more light fall-off and flare at maximum
aperture along with less-than-optimum image detail.  That's not the same as
unusable, it means that their use is restricted at maximum aperture unless
you are willing to accept these optical artifacts.  The same tests show far
fewer optical artifacts in the Leica 70-180 APO.  Why is this silly?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] R lenses and variable apertures)