Subject: [Leica] The Tupper Model
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Tue Mar 15 16:48:27 2005

>In the mean time, might I suggest that Leica hire a few field
>representatives for each of its major markets.  The field reps could
>get guys together at one known local photographer's home in the
>evening where the Leica rep could demonstrate the latest equipment
>and take orders right there and then.  The rep could supply whiskey
>and cigars for the party and perhaps give the photographer-host a
>small gift...say a bottle of Talisker or a couple of Habans..for his
>efforts.

Well, the cost of 10 reps with travel + benefits will only be about
$1 million a year.

If they each sell 30 cameras/year, that's 300 cameras.  Leica would
only have to increase the price of each camera by $3333 in order to
make costs.

But I'm being pessimistic, let's say they sell 120 cameras each per
year or 10 a month. That's 1200/year or only $800 more per camera.

If you know of salespeople who can sell more than 10 Leicas a month
every month a year without saturating the market, then you should let
any of the dealers on this web know their name and phone number.

Karen

Karen Nakamura
http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/