Subject: [Leica] movie recommendation
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Tue Mar 15 10:54:30 2005

Folks on this list might enjoy the documentary film "Born into Brothels,"
which I saw last week.  One of the film makers is a woman who went to
Calcutta for the purpose of photographing life in the brothels.  She wasn't
successful at gaining acceptance and so switched the project to a photo
class for the children of the prostitutes.  Each kid got a Canon Owl P&S
camera and was taught how to use it and then went about documenting their
own lives.  Surprisingly effective and moving film, in my opinion.  It's
really about the children and the kind of lives they lead.  The photography
theme is just a vehicle, but a good one.

There's also a brief shot of the photographer's M6 near the beginning, for
those who require Leica content ;-).

Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM  87108