Subject: [Leica] In the hands of its engineers, not bean counters
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Mon Mar 14 05:31:12 2005

Gene Duprey wrote:

> Many people dump on the R line of cameras and lenses, most have never
> tried
> them.  A real shame as the cameras and lenses are all first rate

I still have and use a Leicaflex SL that is one-third of a CENTURY old. CLA
once very 12-15 years. Operates so flawlessly and reliably that I recently
sold my SL2 as superfluous (for my work). Ask the Birdman of Sacramento
about these cameras.

>Yes some of the early Electronic
> models had a few bugs, but once they were sorted out the cameras were very
> good.

My first Leica SLR was an R3MOT. Once had a slight shutter problem; local
repair guy fixed it for $40. and thereafter it worked perfectly until I got
the SL.

> the lenses are a Fantastic bargan on the used market.

Apart from the tele's, the lens most frequently on my SL is the 60/2,8
Macro-Elmarit, today after over 1/3 century in the catalog, still one of the
finest lenses Leitz ever made. See Erwin's evaluation of this lens: superior
to the 50 Summicron.

Seth

Replies: Reply from leica_korenman at hotmail.com (eric korenman) ([Leica] In the hands of its engineers, not bean counters)