Subject: [Leica] Re: Anyone used a CanoScan 9550 yet?
From: bruent at shaw.ca (B Entus)
Date: Sun Mar 13 20:41:57 2005

> I'm looking for a flatbed scanner for my home office and I've heard
> that the
> new Canon CanoScan 9550 has had good reviews for negative and slide
> scanning
> (for a flatbed). Don't have a film scanner yet...not in the budget.
> Anyone used
> one of these yet? If so what are your impressions, pro and con?
>
> Jim

Do you mean the 9950F?
There is a review at:
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Scanners/Canon_9950F/
page_1.htm

I got a 9950 in mid December. I wanted to replace the photofinisher
scans I was using for proofing / previewing, and to be able to scan
medium format. I had been considering dedicated 35mm film scanners with
batch capabilities, but was hearing mixed reviews of the less expensive
units (good reports on the Nikon, but its roll adapter costs more the
the 9950).

It allows batch scanning of up to 30 frames (5 strips of 6) in one load
and at lower resolutions it is fairly quick. The quality and
consistency of colour scans has been better than what I was getting at
the "1 hour photo" places I had used, and results from faster (800 and
up) films show less noise. This has been more than "good enough" for
previews, cataloging, and other sorts of electronic viewing. The
automatic scans from B&W (TMX and TMY) look better than typical 1st or
2nd try darkroom prints.  I do not know if it can replace a good
dedicated film scanner for "fine" work- I have been catching up on a
backlog and have not yet used it as a source for printing. The review
complains about the level of control provided by the Canon software,
and this could be a concern for such use. Even if I can only used it as
described above, I would be satisfied. Compared to photofinisher costs
it has already paid for itself, and it is also serves as a text scanner
for FAXes.