Subject: [Leica] Help with bw printer decision
From: drodgers7798 at comcast.net (David Rodgers)
Date: Sun Mar 13 18:27:36 2005

Roy,

I'm all for simplicity and lack of clutter. :-)

Just my opinion, but  I think sometimes "technical" gets in the way of
what's practical.

The more I study up on color management, the more confused I get.

Right out of the box my Canon i9900 worked great with glossy papers. But
I wanted to print on Epson premium lustre. Somebody said they were
having good luck with one of the Red River profiles. I tried it and
after some minor tweaking in the Canon driver I got wonderful results.

Not satisfied from a technical perspective (can't use a Red River
profile on Epson paper), I  tried to build my own profiles. After
hundreds of dollars spent on  ink, books, and software -- and countless
hours of study -- my printing didn't improve. I went back to what I
started with and I've been happy ever since.

Granted I learned some interesting things. I think the biggest thing I
learned was that color management  is 90 percent art and 10 percent
science. Which is the same thing I learned 25 years ago when I interned
with an offset printing company. Some things never change.

Dave

Message from drodgers7798 at comcast.net (David Rodgers) ([Leica] Help with bw printer decision)
Message from rzartarian at snet.net (Roy Zartarian) ([Leica] Help with bw printer decision)