Subject: [Leica] OT-Question on Canon Digital Rebel
From: neal at nairobisafari.com (Neal Friedenthal)
Date: Sun Mar 6 15:25:14 2005

>What is the difference between a T4 adapter and a Universal T adapter? I
>can't find anywhere on the Internet any detailed explanation of what these
>various T-style adapters are designed to do...

The Universal or T2 adapter was a simple mount adapter for non-auto or
preset lenses, it was used by many different lens companies.  The T4 was an
attempt to make adaptable automatic apertures
lenses, both soligor and Vivitar made lenses in the T4 system.  Tamron came
out with its own Adapt-a-mount system which was a bit better and was usable
on more cameras than the T4 system. The T4
system lost popularity as it could not work on many of the new auto exposure
cameras, while the Adapt-a-mount of Tamron was able to work on most of the
auto exposure systems the advent of auto-
focus killed it off too. The T2 or Universal T mount still survives as it is
used on specialty lenses such as mirror teles, and telescopes.