Subject: [Leica] Changing face of photoraphy
From: drodgers7798 at comcast.net (drodgers7798@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Mar 4 16:47:19 2005

B.D.

I agree. You can shoot digital in the same manner as film. But for some
reason I don't.  I approach things differently with a digital SLR. I have a
lot more options. That has pros and cons.

Digital is more free form. It doesn't require as much previsualization.  I'm
always seeing in color, but it's easy to make something bw after the fact.

Also, you're wrong to say there's no cost per image with digital.. There's a
sunk dollar cost in the camera. There's an overhead cost in the supporting
equipment. And there are time costs. Each may vary, depending. And digital
can be costly.

Digital has a higher fixed cost, but a lower variable cost than film. Once
you reach a certain volume, the per unit cost of digital is less expensive
than film. But lets not fool ourselves and say that digital is "no cost per
image".

As far as memory, it's all relative. I thought 1 GB of RAM was great until I
got 4GB.  I thought 6.1 MP was great until I shot some 12 MP images.  I
thought my Nikon lenses were great, until I used Leica! :-)

I'll never sell my Leica Ms. The Leica M system is unique. It's legendary.
And it  lives up to the hype.

DaveR

B. D. Colen wrote:

>>No, Dave, shooting digital is NOT like using a machine gun - unless YOU
are shooting that way. Shooting with digital is precisely like shooting
with film - except that there's no cost-per-image. Some people shoot
with total abandon, forgetting what photography is all about; some
people shoot as they would with a film camera. If you don't want to have
to deal with terabytes of images, don't shoot them.

As to needing 4 gigs of ram - I wonder why I'm comfortable with 1? ;-)<<