Subject: [Leica] Re: wooden handles and Strapateers
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Fri Mar 4 12:23:38 2005

>Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005
>From: "John W. Heintz" <heintz@ucalgary.ca>
>Subject: [Leica] Re: wooden handles and Strapateers

>All right, I give up, Alan. I've searched the web accounts os Smith and
>his work, but I can't find the wooden handles. Screwed into the tripod
>fitting? Tell us more.
>
>And google won't recognize Strapateers.
>
>thanks, john
I have an extensive collection of articles and books on Gene Smith, so I
can't remember where exactly I saw this, but it could have been in an issue
of Camera 35 magazine from about 1974. He used to put handles on his
cameras to help steady them. Wherever I saw it, it motivated me to try the
same.

For my first one, I had a woodworker friend cut the end off a broken broom
handle and insert a 1/4-20 bolt.  The finished handle has adhesive felt on
the end to cushion the camera, and is 4" long.  This one is great for my M3
with 90mm lens.  Since then, I've bought 1" dia. wooden dowels at American
Science & Surplus for 25 cents apiece and modified them myself.  A length
of 2-1/2" works nice for the upper camera when I use two. In addition, this
little handle gives me a good grip for single-camera street shooting where
I wrap the camera strap around my wrist.

I think Strapateers were invented and sold (in the seventies) by Bob
Schwalberg of Popular Photography magazine.  I bought one for every camera
I have.  I like them because they're leather, narrow, quick to lengthen or
shorten, and have a clip on one side so you can wear a camera (a Leica,
anyway!) under a jacket, yet bring it out without taking your arm out of
the sleeve.  I don't think these straps have been made in the last 25 years.

I'll look through my publications tonight and see if I can pinpoint the
reference to Smith.

I was very fortunate to be able to meet and attend talks with Smith when he
came to our campus for an honorary degree in 1976.

Alan

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer
Visual Imaging