Subject: [Leica] Fair enough
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Fri Mar 4 03:35:44 2005

> Word processing has been a great gift to all of us, ...

Actually, for me, at the time, word processing was a royal pain in the
rump. If you didn't write in English only, you could run into problems.

I could write Classical Greek perfectly with all the diacritics on an IBM
Selectric (that's what they were called, right?)

When computers came, the only thing offered was "Math Symbols" with Greek
in it and every character had to be set separately. No diacritics, the
spacing between charactings (kerning) was such that it look great in
equations, but crappy in Clement of Alexandria.

I set out to solve that problem, one thing led to another, and I ended up
being a computational linguist on top of a doctorate in ancient Greek.

Sometimes I think life would have been easier in the dusty corner of a
library.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from masonster at gmail.com (David Mason) ([Leica] Fair enough)