Subject: [Leica] Breakfast
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Thu Mar 3 14:24:33 2005

From: "Alastair Firkin" <firkin@ncable.net.au>

Subject: Re: [Leica] Breakfast

> I have mixed feeling when I look at this image: the pixels are broken
> up a bit, there may be edge enhancement, and the feeling b'w the two is
> intimate, but touchy: its an edgy feeling, almost sinister as if he has
> just told her something rather "shattering". I'm sure it was an
> innocent moment, but it is also an emotion filled image for me. Was the
> edginess in the printing/offering deliberate?
> On 02/03/2005, at 4:17 AM, Fran?ois Berton wrote:
>
> > early morning.. rising sun...
> >
> > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/photos.francois.b/Petites%20Images.htm
> >
> > Francois Berton (Paris)
> > f.berton@wanadoo.fr
>

> Alastair
--------------------------------

Hi Francois,

I share Alastairs' interest in this shot and have been back to it several
times. The tension in the shot seems at odds with the title 'Breakfast'. The
imperfections (pixel break up on the wall behind the couple and the muddy
shadows on the mans' shirt) are of absolutely no consequence when weighed
against the effect this shot has on me. I have never been so keen to know
what is 'going on' in a photograph in anything I have ever seen previously.

Why the supporting arm on the shoulder? Why isn't the man looking at the
woman? Why are her eyes downcast? Why are neither of them looking at the
camera? Why so sombre over 'breakfast' and if there really is something sad
happening why is someone snapping away with a camera?

Perhaps it's just a low resolution scan of two people uncomfortable at the
prospect of being photographed. Maybe it is an everyday event that just came
out with a strange feel to it. Maybe my feelings of disquiet are not shared
by anyone else. Maybe the photographer is a genius. Whatever. This
photograph has terrific appeal for me because it is somehow mysterious in a
way and for reasons I don't understand. I can come back to it over and over
again and it still holds its' appeal. Best thing I've seen in a long time.

--Graham

Replies: Reply from mattmorgan1 at mac.com (Matt Morgan) ([Leica] Breakfast)
Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Breakfast)