Subject: [Leica] Need RD-1 lens advice: 35 vs 50 vs 90
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Mar 2 16:19:57 2005

At 3:44 PM -0800 3/2/05, Frank Filippone wrote:
>The quick answer is NO.  DOF is totally independent of "film area".
>Perspective is totally dependent on where you stand, and totally independent
>on what lens or what sensor size.
>
>Frank Filippone
>red735i@earthlink.net
>

>I am sure someone can explain (again) whether the DOF/perspective/etc.
>change or not with smaller sensor size. However, 50mm is about 75mm so that
>makes a nice short portrait lens. I use the 35/1,4ASPH (~52) and 50/1.4ASPH
>(~75) a lot for portrait purpose.

Actually, DOF will be slightly less (but more than with a 75) due to
the fact that the image has to be magnified more to produce the same
print size. Therefore the Circle of Confusion used should be smaller,
resulting in somewhat decreased DoF.

Perspective depends totally on the position of the taking lens w.r.t.
the subject, and with wide angle lenses, how far off the lens axis
the subject is.

Since you will probably back up with a 50 on an RD-1 to get the same
subject covered, you will change perspective. If you use a 75 on a
film body, and a 50 on the RD-1, you will have the same angle of view
and will likely shoot from the same place, so your perspective will
be the same.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design