Subject: [Leica] Re: GeeBee's 'Street' photography
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Sat Feb 26 19:56:15 2005

A couple of weeks ago, I went on here a bit about being out of practice
taking pictures of people. I thought I was getting uncomfortable with
photographing people. I promised to practice and push myself. Sonny
mentioned GeeBee?s strangers page. I even told Sonny that I?d have a
gallery of photos of strangers within a couple of weeks.

So I started looking back over the last year?s contact sheets and found
out that my discomfort wasn?t with taking pictures of people ? I found
that I was fine taking pictures of people I didn?t know as long as it
was job (assignment) related. My problem was with taking pictures of
people just because it pleased me ? no excuse of the profession.

I found a place with lots of people I find interesting enough to
photograph occasionally. Sometimes I find myself secretly slipping a
furtive frame. Other times I interact with the subject. It may be a
conversation or simply a questioning brow asking if they mind my snap.

Is this where we get part of the definition of ?street photography?? I
somehow know that if I were taking pictures around Moore Square for a
magazine article, I would be more comfortable snapping. I wouldn?t feel
like a street photgrapher, but a journalist. This difference is
obviously only in my mind ? it is not real. But, isn?t this a real part
of how we define ?street photography?? After all, such artistic
definitions and boundries are only of our minds.

Street photography is defined not by the result, but by the act.

Pushing myself to take the street photos, I?ve got to admit wasn?t
relaxing, but it was stimulating ? a high of sorts.

It was fun much like riding a rollercoaster, a thrill coming from a
taste of fear. And there is the self-satisfaction of living through it.

Is there something there that makes us feel like we are somehow
victimizing those we photograph? Do we somewhere harbor the old fear of
the soul being stolen by the image we capture? Are we concerned that we
may be unkind in our portrayal of an innocent or less fortunate fellow
human? Are we simply scared some stranger will be offended and knock
the crap out of us?

I?m sure I don?t know, but I?ll be returning to Moore Square to take
pictures.

Street photos from the last two weeks:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Moore-Square
more soon