Subject: [Leica] Re:Last film on earth (Christopher Williams)
From: lkhermann at bresnan.net (lkhermann)
Date: Tue Feb 22 17:44:19 2005

At 05:38 PM 2/22/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>Greeting to all. I've been lurking for a few days after finding Kyle's
>site, which led me here, so blame him.
>
>This "Traditional Irish Wake for Film" is getting depressing. Instead of
>worrying about the disappearance of film, worry about how you're going to
>pay for it as the market size shrinks and the price starts going up (and
>up and up). Tri-X will be around for 50 years, whether Kodak is making it
>or not, because there will be a substantial market for silver photography
>for at least that long, one large enough to interest somebody in
>continuing to provide it. There is money in avocations because people are
>passionate about them and will pay to play.
>
>Pick up a copy of "Model Railroader" magazine sometime. It's stunning how
>many small-to-medium size companies are involved in making stuff for the
>scale train people. The future market for silver photography will be many
>times the size of that market and will support a bunch of boutique and
>mid-size players.
>
>Maybe YOU will be one of them!
>
>----
>pld (no Leica because all of my money goes into airplanes:
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/Nifty-Aerials )

Dear Paul,
         I like what you say.  Nice photos too, a Cessna 172 or 182 can
take all available funds.  I think I should sell an airplane and buy an R9
and DMR.  Now that is a practical suggestion.  Thanks for not just
lurking.  I, for one, will mourn and deeply regret the passing of Leica,
which is just a reincarnation of the old Leitz.  I am amazed at the number
of LUG members who say it is of no consequence to them if Leica
disappears.  There will be no more new Summiluxes etc.
Thanks
Lee