Subject: [Leica] Interview re. Leica-Olympus-Panasonic manage
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Sun Feb 13 09:03:00 2005

I think the market is in for a shake out. I agree with Don that
Minolta, Olympus and
maybe Pentax might not make it. Heck, even Nikon is having it's issues
and if they screw up
the 2Dx they are probably out of the pro game for good. It's getting
pretty crowded out there
and the market pie is only so big. Again, I just don't see how 4/3 is
going to survive with higher
MP count and still maintain competitive noise levels. Heck, Kodak
doesn't seem to be able
to get their full frame chip working over 400 asa.

And as far as Leica is concerned, I think that's a little more
difficult to predict, since they
have been a niece player for so long. My guess is they will manage to
produce a digital M,
but they will be very late to the game.  Will it hurt them? Probably
not as much as if they were Canon or
Nikon, but they are not a mainstream company. They will probably
introduce a line of lenses similar to
Nikon's DX line that are optimized for the x1.5 or x1.3 mag factor of
the chip, unless some miracle
happens and we get a full chip camera.

They may even manage to produce a more reasonably priced, manual focus
R, by integrating
the R-Module guts right in to a body. They would either have to be a
lot dumber than is allowed in
Germany or completely strapped for cash not to do so. If they were
smart they would come out with
a cheaper prosumer body.

Personally I think Leica should split their line up, like everyone
else. Pro and Prosumer cameras.
Keep the all metal M and come out with something less rugged in both
SLR and RF cameras
to move bodies and lenses.

feli

feli2@earthlink.net                     2 + 2 = 4