Subject: [Leica] 75 'cron now 105 F1.4
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Feb 6 16:31:24 2005

On 2/6/05 7:52 AM, "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> typed:

> Seth,
> Not necessarily as the digital world continues to debate sensor size.  I
> suspect that the amateur market will settle on the APS-C sized sensor
> ala Nikon.  I don't think the 4/3 platform has gained enough traction to
> remain viable; what Olympus brings out in the next year will tell that
> story.
>
> To a large degree, the new technology in digital capture offers new
> creative options just as 35mm offered new options sixty years ago.
>
> It would be interesting to see if the finder base of the new Contax
> offering would support focusing the 75 Summilux on a presumed 1.3 to 1.5
> crop digital sensor.

I just had a cup of coffee with a guy who has shot as many top retail
fashion catalogs and brochures as just about anyone and he shoots Canon.
Never felt the need to get the full from "S" body. Does fine with the other
bodies mainly one with the 1.3 crop. And still shoots a good deal of film.
I know lots of photographers and only a few have not found the APS-c or
close to it (the  1.3 crop) fully suitable to their digital needs.
A few have rented medium format digital backs when the occasion arose.
Perhaps they also rented a Canon S when that file size was really needed.

The APS-c format has worked well for me for some of the work I have done.
I wish film cameras would come out for this format. Make use of all that
nice glass. If Nikon can come out with an F6 for a dwindling market but with
the R&D all mainly taken care of ahead of time I'd think they'd be able to
do the same with an APS format SLR using regular 35mm film.

I'd not put the APS-c format in the amateur category.
It's just not the case.
As Nikon has gotten fully behind the APS-c format more than canon has
perhaps those who prefer to think of the APS-c format as "amateur" are the
ones who've gone with Canon and want to put down all things Nikon.

The day before yesterday I ran into a photographer I'd never met and we
introduced ourselves. He was working for the Oregonian. He was shooting
intensively with a Nikon D2H.
That's an APS-c format and a 4 megapixel file.
Specs a fraction of the size of what a causal observer to the photographic
world might think to be "professional".

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon