Subject: [Leica] Critique & comments:
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Feb 5 10:38:45 2005

Gene offered:
> I do look at the postings on here to see what i can learn.  And if I have
> any
> constructive things to say then I do.  I also give out a "Nice Photo"
> reply
> if I really like something.  I also want constructive criticisim of my
> photos
> when I post them, so I can learn from those who have the experience,
> knowlege
> or talent I do not.  I really do want the comments, so I can learn and
> improve
> my photography.  I keep waiting for the day that I post something that
> attracts your attention and comments.  I figure when that day arrives, I
> will finally
> have made some progress.  ;-)  I learn a lot from your books, from Steve,
> Sonny, Nathan and others with the talent and sight for good photography on
> this
> list.<<<<<<<<

G'day Gene mon ami,

First of all let me make some general open comments why I do and why I don't
make comments in some cases. And this has absolutely nothing to do with your
photography. So please read it as "General open comment about doing
critiques in general."

And yes I will comment on your work from now on ...  :-)

Sometime I don't make a comment. One for sure is, the photograph is an
absolute dud, I suppose one could say..... "should never have seen the
screen!" However, in the past, and I do believe I've said this before....
"No matter how careful a critique is worded trying to be gentle, honest and
forthright of opinion, it is not accepted by the poster simply because they
think they used a Leica, therefore the picture is the cats meow perfect!"

We know that is not true at all, because it that were the case, all of us
would be the worlds greatest perfect picture takers because "We use a
Leica!" Hogwash!

What a Leica gives the user, is a wonderful mental state to do better simply
because we've seen what's been done before us, by us, and I'm sure from
those yet to discover the magic of seeing, feeling and accomplishing better
pictures because they're using a Leica. Does this "magic happen" for
everyone?  Nope! But it does for many of us.

So I have the option of making a comment about a "file 13 waste basket
exposure" and receiving a vilification of nonsense. Therefore why make any
comment about them? Or the picture is so wonderfully shot one hardly needs
make a comment. And in many cases when they're so well done nothing need be
said. If anything, only praise.

However, I have learned over the years from fellow photographers and
students who suggested it's just as important to know why a picture is
great, as why it's a throw away exposure. Obviously it's not feasible, nor
time available to make comment on every picture posted. Therefore many go
without comment.

By the same token there are folks on the list who's photography improves
week after week due to critiquing and comments. WHY? Well they listen, don't
whine, bite the bullet and go do it again. Or take the tip to heart turning
it into successful photography the next time.

And in your case many of them do not receive comment for this simple
reason.... " Or the picture is so wonderfully shot one hardly needs make a
comment. And in many cases when they're so well done nothing need be said. "
:-)Something like "No news, is good news!" :-) :-)

Finally I will say, even after 54 years of published work, there isn't any
better gift than a pat on the back about ones photography! :-) Therefore, in
the future I shall try to give pats and slaps when I can! ;-)

There you go eh! ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Critique & comments:)