Subject: [Leica] LeiCanon photos from Arizona
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri Feb 4 18:07:57 2005

We're down in Black Canyon, Arizona for a few days and I brought along
the 1Ds and some good glass.

These flowers are in what passes for a yard here. I wasn't prepared
for specular highlights on these flowers - but like all dessert blooms
they protect their water content.

This first one was shot with the very good Canon 24-70 F2.8L lens:

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/02/04/_L3U0030.jpg>

Then I swapped it for the Leica 100mm APO.

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/02/04/_L3U0045-crp-crv-shrp.jpg>

This, I think, is a kind of lantana. It is VERY small - maybe the size
of a US penny or even a dime across.

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/02/04/_L3U0056-crp-crv-shrp.jpg>

There are also birds. These are house finches (I think given Doug
Herr's comments.) All shot with the telyt 280 wide open. It was a high
milky sky and I was shooting through the pane of the kitchen window
when I snapped these. So the Leica glass doesn't show its stuff as
well as it could. I'll have to craft a kind of blind if I'm going to
shoot these without the window.

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/02/04/_L3U0060-crp-crv-shrp.jpg>

I think the softness in this one is more my focusing, and my unsteady
hand, than anything else.

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/02/04/_L3U0072-crp-crv-shrp.jpg>

Canon recommends using the photoshop unsharp mask starting with
settings of 300%/.3/0 which is what I have used on all of these. The
images are sharpened again when reduced for display on the web.

Your comments are most welcome.

Adam