Subject: CC filters (was: Re: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 29, Issue 124)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Wed Feb 2 09:14:05 2005

> carying a blue fliter in your pocket
[snip]
> but it is easier than to have to correct it in photoshop afterwards - ruben

In some cases it's better to correct in Photoshop.  This photo (off-topic,
sorry!) of a Pika

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/lagomorphs/pika00.html

was made at high altitude before air pollution.  Clouds blocked the sun so
the only light on the animal was from the deep blue sky.  If I had used a CC
filter at the time of exposure to correct the blue color cast my shutter
speed would have dropped well below 1/60 sec and the picture most likely
would have been too blurry to be usable.  Without the CC filter the exposure
was 1/60 sec @ f/4.5, the maximum aperture of the lens.  There's still a
color cast in this file but if you want to see what it looks like without
color corrections find a copy of Audubon magazine, September 1974 and look
at the photo on the inside front cover.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com