Subject: [Leica] My father, rescanned
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue Feb 1 21:57:54 2005

Thanks for the comments, Chandos.  You are so right about the lighting, but
it was what it was.  Your comment got me to thinking that judicious fill
flash might actually perserve the spirit of available light in those
circumstances.
:-)

Sal DiMarco made an interesting comment to me in Portland a couple of years
ago.  We were talking about superspeed lenses.  Sal said that if one was
good with flash or other auxiliary light sources, it was possible to make
things look like available light, while using narrower apertures that were
sharper and (in his view) better looking.   He had the idea of doing a
"point-counterpoint" session with Ted Grant, at a future LHSA meeting.  Ted
would show Noctilux pictures, and Sal would show how he could get the same
effect with judicious lighting tricks.  It would have been fun.

Remember Jane Bown's environmental portrait trick?   Carry a couple of 150
watt light bulbs in her purse and switch them into the available lamps.

--Peter