Subject: [Leica] enlarging lens serial number
From: wlarsen at ocsnet.net (Will)
Date: Tue Feb 1 08:54:06 2005

Don Dory wrote: with big snips from me:

>Brad, I suspect that there is a LTM-M converter screwed on the lens.
>Look at the M mount and see if there is a grub screw locking the M
>mount; if you do not see one then mount the lens on an M and attempt to
>unscrew in the normal direction.  It should come off fairly easily
>unless someone went crazy with locktite.

You have to remember that when the M3 was introduced, Leitz was still
producing the LTM IIIf and IIIg.   Everything was backwards
compatible.   Locktite didn't exist.  I think they either used the grub
screw or a drop of  lacquer to the adapter to avoid having to retool and
make m-mount lenses.  I am sure the the LHSA people can correct me.
Regards, Bill Larsen, Terra Bellla, CA
whose introduction to 35mm was a Minolta knock-off of the LTM camera -
which was a very bad introduction