Subject: [Leica] My father, rescanned
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Jan 31 19:51:25 2005

I've posted this picture before.  The past few days I've been housebound
with a nasty digestive "issue," so I had a bit of time to fool with the
picture.

A local camera shop developed the negs in Xtol and scanned them on a
Noritsu scanner at 1544x1042. Like all photofinishers, they juice up the
contrast a bit too much on the scanner.  I rescanned the Tri-X neg on my
Canon FS-4000.  While I was at it, I posted a comparison between the two
scans.  There are two pictures at standard Web-page resolution, and two
little snippets at 1:1, the Noritsu enlarged to a similar size.  M6TTL,
50/1.5 Nokton, probably wide open at 1/60.

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/family/06Milt.htm

Verdict:  The low-res Noristsu scans are OK for a 5x7 if they don't totally
blow the whites.  For an 8x10 or bigger, I need to scan them myself.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from chandos at cox.net (Chandos Michael Brown) ([Leica] My father, rescanned)