Subject: [Leica] SF-24
From: Grduprey at aol.com (Grduprey@aol.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 08:53:35 2005

In a message dated 1/28/2005 4:27:42 AM Central Standard Time,
leica35@yahoo.com writes:

I've been reading the SF-24 specs and it looks to me
like it offers more f-stop settings in A-mode than the
SF-20; also possibly a larger compensation range. (I
would be using this flash with a M6 Classic).

I've also found a statement that the f-stop settings
are "independent" of ISO. I can read that multiple
ways, but what I want is something that offers the
f2.0 setting independent of film ISO rating. Any
comments?

I'm looking for a unit that will allow me some
flexibility for those indoor shots that are just
documentary (not art :-) ). e.g. light level is
sufficient for "strobe not needed" photography but I
want to soften some shadows. So in my mind what I want
is match the f-stop on the flash to that of the lens,
dial in a -0.7 to -1.5 setting and go. I'm trying to
go mindeless here because I don't use that capability
that often but when I do, don't want my usual "pilot"
error.

I've also looked at the Nikon sb-30 and it mates well
with my SLR system but the f-stop settings are not
independent of film speed (ISO setting).

I'm really looking for that f2.0 pub fill flash where
you need to erase some shadows of the overhead
lighting, etc.

Thanks and regards
Roger

Roger

I use the SF24 and it works great with my M6TTL and also the R8.  You can
shoot at just about any f stop and it will regulate the flash level.  You
can
also set the exposure using the compensation function for, say 1/3 stop less
light etc.  It reads the film speed directly from the camera, so you do not
have
to set it manually. It gives pretty natural lighting also and not the
typical
Flash Look to photographs.  I do not use it a lot, but when needed it works
very nicely and with very excellent results.  It also has a nice balance on
the 6
without that top heavy feel

Gene