Subject: [Leica] Re: OT planned obsolesence
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M.Sharp)
Date: Fri Jan 28 05:06:41 2005

I don't think that the Japanese were responsible for the idea at all, the
UK,France,Germany,Belgium and the USA introduced it in the most lucrative
industry of all. I left out the USSR, their philosophy was completely the
opposite.

Planned obsolesence is something that started up after WWII in the arms
industry, "new rifle - new calibre" kind of idea,or  aircraft and vehicle
spares
made deliberately in very short supply. I know the British Army and Airforce
cannibalise old vehicles and aircraft to keep others running, the Bundeswehr
in
Germany does it , and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the US-Army does it
too.
Also, hardly any new weapons systems today are compatible with their
predecessors or,  as an example, indeed with the weapons used within the
various
armies of the NATO Allied forces, and only recently have the transport and
logistics vehicles been built on standard platforms again.
Strangely enough during WWII most countries did build hundreds of variations
on
standard chassis, Sherman tanks, Bedford QL,Austin K-series, GMC
CCKW353/StudebakerUS6, German Opel and Ford "Einheitsdiesel" and Japanese
Toyota
trucks.
The arms business lives from constant planned obsolesence, most systems are
planned to be phased out within a 5 year period (if not sooner) and most of
these are even obsolete when they are put into action, eg the Tornado Low
Level
Strike Aircraft, used to destroy airfields, ran out of bombs during Desert
Storm, nobody had thought of stockpiling munitions for it. Of course this
machine was not compatible with any of the other weapons systems available
at
the time and could not be refitted at short notice.
Douglas

Message from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x)