Subject: [Leica] Screw Mount Lenses
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 15:31:09 2005

Bill, I seem to recall that the serial number on the Elmar 50mm/3.5 is
located on the black ring closest to the glass. It may be engraved there but
is
not easily seen because it's not painted white.

As for the difficulty in setting the F-stops, as has been discussed before,
Leitz made a gadget [or two] many years ago that slipped over the lens so
that
 you could see the f-stops when the lens was mounted on the enlarger. I used
one  that way when I used a Leitz Valoy enlarger as a youngster.

Older Elmar lenses were not coated. Most Elmar 50/2 lenses are just fine,
in
my opinion. I wish I still had one --bob  cole