Subject: [Leica] Wireless Network?
From: alaxsxaq at gmail.com (Glenn Stauffer)
Date: Wed Jan 26 14:56:46 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:02:40 -0500, Tina Manley <images@infoave.net> wrote:
> LUG:
>
> My husband wants to establish a wireless network in our house so he and my
> daughter don't have to use my desk computer every time they wants to send
> e-mail or use Google.

Tina,

Just get one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=33-124-136&DEPA=5

Plugs right into your cable modem.  Ethernet cable connection for your
wired computer so you don't need to get a wireless card for your
desktop machine.

You'll need wireless cards for the other computers and what works
there is going to depend on whether you have laptops or other desktop
systems.

For quick and dirty, you can get USB wireless adapters for about $20 -
$30.  Make sure the computer has USB 2.0, plug it into the back and
go.  For better performance, get an internal card which should be
pretty simple to install on most home computers as long as you know
the basics.  Laptops usually come with wireless; if not, check the
manufacturer to see what cards are available.  Take it to a shop for
installation if you bought from a full-service retailer.

For any equipment you intend to buy, I suggest looking at the customer
reviews on newegg.com and amazon.com and avoid the off-brands that
seem to generate lots of complaints.  You can't go wrong with Linksys
- usually work well, decent documentation, good support on Windows XP,
and decent prices.

Glenn

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Wireless Network?)
Reply from dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis Painter) ([Leica] Wireless Network?)